TOMBOLO ART MEDIA

TOMBOLO ART MEDIA
LAUNCHING FEBRUARY 2014

Friday, August 29, 2008

Catching Up With the Past--An August Recap

This post is a little bit long in coming as I was lost in la-la land getting things done at work before my fabulous Albuquerque/Santa Fe trip, so I didn't have a chance to write about a couple of happenings in August until now.The first thing that I want to talk briefly about is how I FINALLY, after an eight-year hiatus, made it back to the U.S. Open this year, thanks to a co-worker of my friend Kate, who was unable to attend. The tennis was good, but the merchandise was over-priced and sucky, and there were too many "ghetto" people this year. I couldn't believe some of the riff-raff who like tennis. Yes, Virginia, I'm a snob and a classist, and I'm okay with that! I used to think the U.S. Open was the most civilized place in Queens, but it has become like everything else (Fashion Week, Fifth Avenue, etc.), a bunch of entitled people trying to be absolutely fabulous. I would have actually enjoyed the match at Arthur Ashe Stadium, except some jackass sat down next to us with his girlfriend and proceeded to talk loud on his cell phone the whole time a la "Bro, yeah, it's me, Bro. I'm at the U.S. Open." I know Bro--that's why no one else is on their G.D. cell phones, because we're watching live tennis, so shut the hell up! Unbelievable! Even after three groups of people around him rolled their eyes and my bold friend Naomi told him to "shhh!" he still continued to talk even after he apologized. Ugh! People make me crazy!!! I also made the mistake of wearing flip-flops since it was wall-to-wall people this time around. Weekdays are definitely a better time to attend the open if you don't like crowds. The good news was that it was, indeed, it was a lovely night for tennis and there was a refreshing cool breeze. Most importantly, Naomi and I spent some quality time hanging out.

Also in August, I was nominated for the Arte y Pico Award by the phenomenal artist, Robin Cheers in Austin, Texas. I bought one of her smaller daily paintings ("Meditating Marilyn")earlier this year and I love it. I am uberappreciative about this nomination because I have been blogging just for the sake of documenting important experiences in my life and to relieve the stress that corporate America gives me. It’s nice to be recognized for all the things that the award is about—dedication, creativity, art and more! That’s what so amazing about online communities…making friends who share common traits and goals.

I have to admit, I don't spend enough time reading other people's blogs, but I do enjoy browsing and seeing what art out there inspires me. That's why I am going to nominate Ed Watson, Daniel Peci, Nicole Wong. Both are incredible artists, and their work really speaks to me. William Renzulli also has an interesting blog. He inspires me to make sure that I have the fullest retirement when it comes time for me to take that journey in my life. I also love the work of Gerard Boersma in the Netherlands. His eye for detail and color astound me!

Some Background on The Arte y Pico Award

The designer of the award puts it like this..."The Arte y Pico Award has arisen from the daily visits that I make to many blogs which nourish and enrich me with creativity. In them, I see dedication, creativity, care, comradeship, but mainly, ART, much art. I want to share this prize with all those bloggers that entertain and enrich me day to day. Doubtlessly, there are many and it will be hard to pick just a few."The Rules:1. You have to pick 5 blogs that you consider deserve this award through creativity, design, interesting material, and also contributes to the blogger community, no matter of language.2. Each award should have the name of the author with a link to their blog.3. Award winners have to post the award with the name and link to the blog of the person who gave them the award.4. Show these rules and the paragraph (above) explaining the awards origination.

No comments: