TOMBOLO ART MEDIA

TOMBOLO ART MEDIA
LAUNCHING FEBRUARY 2014

Friday, September 2, 2011

2011 SWAIA Indian Market: Doll Maker Juanita Growing Thunder Fogarty

Detail of Juanita Growing Thunder Fogarty's Award-Winning Piece




















Every year at SWAIA Indian Market, I have a new favorite artist.  This year it is is Assiniboine Sioux doll maker, bead and quill worker Juanita Growing Thunder Fogarty. In addition to her breathtaking art work, Juanita is also one of the nicest people I've ever met.   It was by chance that I ended up at her booth at the 2011 SWAIA Indian Market, and she warmly welcomed me under the white tent to talk to me about her work and her family's history participating in Indian Market.  She has been juried into the show for the last 26 years, and is a protege of her award-winning mother and collaborator Joyce Growing Thunder.


Joyce Growing Thunder
This year, Juanita won "Best of Division" and "First Place" in the "Diverse Arts" category for her soft sculpture Native American riding a horse adorned in full regalia.  She was so kind to let me film her piece, photograph it in detail and talk to me about what went into making this award-winning exquisite work of art.

Watch my interview with Juanita Growing Thunder Fogarty HERE:



No comments: