TOMBOLO ART MEDIA

TOMBOLO ART MEDIA
LAUNCHING FEBRUARY 2014

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Manga-nanimousness of Vancouver Opera (Did I Really Just Say That?!)

"A hired assassin. A pious and vulnerable girl. A predatory duke. A father’s curse. Terrible things are bound to happen in Verdi’s masterful tragedy, set in a 16th century court."

That's Rigoletto, and it is currently onstage at Vancouver Opera in an intriguing new production directed by Glynis Leyshon. The production runs from March 7 -17, and word on the street is it's wild. I wish I were visiting my family right now so that I could drive-up and see it, especially since it boasts a stellar cast, including Donnie Ray Albert. I had the pleasure of performing with Donnie when he made special appearances with my high school All-Region choir as well as my university choir in Texas. I'll never forget his solos on "Danuel"--goosebump inducing! He was also a good friend of my very first voice teacher in college.

I have to really hand it to Christopher Libby, Managing Director of Vancouver Opera, who is doing everything in his power to make sure that new audiences continue to discover the wonder of opera. Apparently, opening night of Rigoletto was Blogger Night! Does the Queen bestow awards for stuff like that? If so, Christopher should get one.

Oh, yeah...they also have manga! Check out the latest for Rigoletto--it's part of a new series that began this year at Vancouver opera. Ingenious!



No comments: