TOMBOLO ART MEDIA

TOMBOLO ART MEDIA
LAUNCHING FEBRUARY 2014

Sunday, February 15, 2009

National Black Fine Art Show--Little Artistic Miracle on 34th Street


Today was a perfect day in New York City to take in art. That's why I went to the National Black Fine Art Show, which started this past Friday and ended today. I was first introduced to the organization by a lovely young woman with whom I work whose father Robert Carter is one of the featured artists at the show. His studio always has a booth at the show, and the quality of the work he displays is top-notch. I am particularly drawn to Robert's 3-D sculptures that celebrate the nostalgia of the American Black experience.

One of the most exciting parts of this show was the energy that has been generated by the election of President Obama, and a great deal of the art captured the energy and hope that this new President has brought to the African-American community. I overheard conversations of art lovers foreshadowing good things coming forth from the White House.



For me, a standout at the show was the work of Haitian born, Brooklyn resident Francks Francois Décéus, who is represented by Avisca Fine Art. His work caught my eye from booths away, and this sociologist by trade, brings his strong sense of the human condition to the canvas in a unique and captivating way. Since one of my favorite books is Ellison's The Invisible Man, his work, directly inspired by the work really touched me.

Other standouts from the show were the wonderful realism in the pastel portraiture of Richard Lewis as well as the black and white works of Joyce Owens. Owens' work was prominently displayed by the Parish Gallery of Georgetown, which always features the best in contemporary Black artists.

The astounding block prints on linen by Yashua Klos has me in awe of the time involved in creating these gorgeous 6 foot pieces of art that overshadowed many pieces in the show.


















Klos's pieces were complemented by the wonderful small bronze sculpture to be had at the Memphis-based Joysmith Gallery booth.

If you can make it out next year for this artistic feast, please do. It's well worth the $15!

1 comment:

Joyce Owens said...

Glad you went and many thanks for mentioning my work at Parish Gallery. Yashua Klos won First Prize in a show in Chicago called Black Creativity and showed the pieces from the edition that are in the NYC show. The amazing thing is that they are ENORMOUS wood cuts (prints).

My website is www.joyceowens.com. Thank you for linking to my blog in your post.